The Sierra Leone Female U-17 National team did not travel to Gambia on the 28 October 2017 for the second leg of the 2018 Women’s World Cup qualifier preliminary round because they had no funding. The U-17 girls lost the first match against Gambia 3 – 0 here in Sierra Leone.
The Executive Committee of the Sierra Leone Football Association (SLFA) met with the Ministry of Sport and the National Sports Council on Thursday.
According to the Director of Sports, Ibrahim Bangura, the Football Association informed the Ministry very late. He said the U-17 competition was not part of the SLFA activities previously sent to the Ministry. He said the government has procedures in doing things.
Reacting to such decision the scribe of the West Area Football Association, Kasho J. Rolland Cole, said he is going to blame the executive. “Why should they blame the government when they refused to inform them about the competition. And they have put the players in a very awkward position after they trained for the match. They are unable to go for the return match, which is very bad.”
Issa Kamara said the withdrawal of the female U-17 team was not a surprise to him. He knew something was wrong and feels badly for the players who were planning to have their first international assignment.
According to information, the U-17 team has not received any money other than the Le50,000 for transportation after the first match against Gambia.
Monday October 30, 2017.