Woman found dead in shower after Melbourne stag party

A woman found dead in a shower at a Melbourne stag party was reportedly a member of the Australian Defence Force.

Channel Nine said a source had confirmed the woman was from Victoria and was a member of the defence force.

The Australian Defence Force said on Monday night they were unable to confirm the report.

Police refused to confirm the woman's identity on Monday, despite ruling out foul play.

Four men attending the stag do will be allowed to return home after being released without charge on Sunday night.

The men, from ACT and New South Wales, were taken into custody after the dead woman was discovered at the Oaks on Market serviced apartments on Sunday morning.

They were reunited with their seven friends on Sunday night after spending the day assisting detectives with their investigation.

An autopsy carried out on Sunday night allowed investigators to rule out foul play in the death.

The cause of death is still unknown. Police tested the body for illicit drugs but toxicology results could take weeks.

The woman, believed to be aged in her 20s, was wearing a black long-sleeved top, blue denim shorts and white runners.

It is not known if she knew the men, or how she came to be in their company.

It's believed she returned to the apartment with the men on Saturday night.

Police will not say how many people were in the apartment at the time of her death.

The woman's body was found in the 10th-floor apartment after a hotel guest called emergency services about 8am.

The apartment was being rented out by 11 men, in the city for a stag do.

The men spent Saturday afternoon attending the Geelong-Hawthorn AFL match at the MCG, before returning to their apartment and heading out clubbing.

Members of the group were last seen at the Minimalistic Showcase at Cloud Nine, in a King Street nightclub, between 2.30am and 3am.

Two of the men attending the stag do said on Sunday they initially thought they were being "stitched up".

"I don't know what happened. I went to the football," one said.

"I thought I was being stitched up."

The group stayed around the apartment, between Collins Street and Flinders Lane, for much of the day on Sunday as homicide detectives combed the scene.

The homicide squad was still assisting local detectives with the investigation and a report would be prepared for the coroner.

 - The Age