Abuja – Mr Kingsley Achife, the Chief Operating Officer (COO), Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution Company (PHEDC), has commiserated with families and friends of those electrocuted at a football viewing centre in Calabar.
Mr John Onyi, the Head, Corporate communications of PHEDC in a statement on Friday in Abuja, said that Achife sympathised with those who sustained various degrees of injuries during the incident.
He said that seven persons were electrocuted while11 others sustained injuries, following the incident as against the reports in the media that said 30 persons were electrocuted with 50 others injured.
“It will be recalled that UNICAL 11kv feeder snapped yesterday night at Akpanden Street, Atimbo, Calabar, resulting to the death of 7 persons and 11 others injured.
“The corpses have been deposited in the mortuary, while the survivors are currently receiving medical attention at the University of Calabar Teaching Hospital,” he said
Achife expressed displeasure over the incident and said that the affected feeder had been isolated to ensure that lives and properties were secured in the area.
According to him, an investigation team has been constituted with a view to finding out the remote and immediate causes of the accident.
“Our heartfelt condolences go to the bereaved families. May God give the families the courage to bear the loss.
“We also sympathise with those who sustained injuries and wish them quick recovery”, he said.
He called on residents of the area to remain calm, law abiding and accord the investigation team the necessary support.
Achife commended law enforcement agencies that responded quickly and ensure that the victims were taken to the hospital.
He urged electricity consumers to always adhere to safety rules by not erecting any structure under high tension lines.
The post Calabar electrocution: PHEDC to probe causes of death appeared first on Vanguard News.